Friday, January 12, 2007

deep breath, here we go...

several years ago, shortly after i had my first daughter, i went to a new account nervously covering a tech who was out on an extended leave. to my surprise i loved everyone there instantly, the techs were fun and laid back with interesting personalities. i was lucky enough to get work there for many months and grew fond of the vascular tech, jan, who although she could be irritating (aren't we all?) taught me a lot and was very nurturing. she was always talking about harry potter and at first i thought it was odd that a middle aged women with no kids was so obsessesed with a kids book...until she finally convinced me to read the first one. needless to say i was hooked and began to look forward to talking wih her about plots as i made my way through the series (i didnt get into harry potter until the third book was out).



jan became sick about the time the fourth harry potter book came out and died tragically within a year. it was one of those things that happens so fast, your head spins and you never really get a handle on it. she wasn't a close friend but she made a huge impact on my life, since the harry potter books have become so important to me its embarrassing to admit!



harry potter has also connected me with my brilliant uncle, who casually commented at a formal family gathering that he was enchanted by the series...and then my brother-in-law did the same at another family gathering in colorado after which said comment caused me to pounce on him for hours to discuss each book at length. both of these relatives gave me zero signals they were harry potter fanatics until then, but now the secret is out and i feel closer to them both because of it (sort of a secret club).



soooo with much reserve and terrifying anticipation i wait for the next (AND LAST, ugh!) harry potter installment, to arrive in march 2007. this is a very, very big deal to me.

B000818xa001_aa240_sclzzzzzzz_v49844226_



No comments:

Post a Comment