Thursday, December 7, 2006

midlife crisis?

About a year ago I was feeling anxious about my career and life and ??? I am sure everyone feels frustrated with their lives at one time or another. I have always wanted to be an artist, have the full time artist life, whatever that is! I basically wigged out and took a three day portrait class, which was awesome but was not something i had a natural talent in. My father is an artist and after taking an art class in college in which the professor beat every inch of artistic will out of me, my father rescued me by offering to help me paint. He said after my first few brushstrokes, "I like it! Keep going!" to which i felt so much happiness i painted dozens and dozens of paintings with him over many years. This was all prior to having kids, which was so distracting, i hardly noticed my lack of painting time. Sooo, back to the original story, I was having this tiny nervous breakdown a year ago and I took this fabulous art class...spending hours mixing colors and having nothing to do for three solid days but paint paint paint! It changed my life and i signed up for a week long plein air workshop at laguna beach (a beautiful southern california beach) six months later which really was more my style and which i came away with six awesome pictures! That week long painting class as spun off into so many creative outlets i can hardly focus on work anymore. My mind is full of painting and sewing and crafts etc etc...not to mention the benefits of being a campfire leader (which i will address over and over again)...which is nothing BUT making cool crafts on a WEEKLY basis! So here are a few photos of my painting workshop in laguna beach, notice my surgeon scrubs, yes my fellow classmates thought i was a doctor...whatever! It was freezing in the morning and super hot in the afternoon, i needed a full body cover up! For anyone out there wondering if they should take a class in something they really want to do, i say go for it! Take that week off of work and just do it! I am so glad i did! It opened up a flood of creativity that had been tapped up for years and i am having a blast letting it flow! 100_8495100_8494



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great experience. I'll have to show this post to my husband if I decide to take some time off to hone my sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete