Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Camp Wintaka 50 year reunion!!

Wintaka

Camp Wintaka is the residential camp for the Long Beach area council and was the first "sleep over" or "sleep away" camp i went to as a child. On my ceremonial gown (someday i will photograph this lovely creation) i have a "3 years" patch, so i must have gone there three years. i most likely went around 1976 or 1977 for three consecutive years... that was when i was around 9 or 10 through 11 or 12 years old (i am 39 now). i know for sure my first year at camp yallani (the Los Angeles council camp) was in 1981 when i was 13. i still don't know why i never became a C.I.T. (counselor in training) at camp wintaka or a counselor? i was a camp fire member through high school, but not as active during those years. maybe because camp yallani was an actual paying job and i fell head over heals in love with the place, i never went back to wintaka? not sure, but this july is the 50 year reunion and i am going for sure!



Win_4

the pictures i have are pretty bad, i can't for the life of me find the camp photo taken at the end of every session with all the campers together. those photos hold up remarkably well. i have a stack an inch thick of camp wintaka and camp yallani weekly session photos that have been put somewhere "very safe", so safe i can't FIND THEM!!! hope they turn up before the reunion!



Win_3

for anyone who likes weird coincidences (i for one LOVE them!)... last winter i was asked to cover an ultrasound account that was going to be a major challenge for me, something out of my comfort zone technically... but i just went for it and pushed myself. Needless to say i became close friends with the tech there (pat) and when i happened to mention i was the camp fire leader of my daughters group she said ruth, her partner, had been in camp fire and on and on we talked. pretty soon we realized that ruth had gone to wintaka around the same time i had, she had been a counselor. this started communication between ruth and i via pat... i brought my camp fire song book to work to share with her and pat told me ruth was moved to tears when reading the lyrics to some of the songs. very cool stuff! so here comes the 50 year reunion and guess what? pat and ruth will be attending with me so we can share in all the goofy camp memories together. who would have predicted this outcome when i so hesitantly took this account back in december? here is something else that's cool...camp wintaka is located on "green valley lake road", yes THE green valley lake road that goes directly to green valley lake and my cabin. gotta love coincidences!!!



11 comments:

  1. All your talk of camp memories...I saw Pat Keegan(Snapper) over the weekend....He says he still goes up to the Yallani area often to hike, etc.
    He LOVED how u were a Campfire leader now! He thought was awesome!
    Anyhoo, I love the picks and your OWLS, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... CAMP! And a reunion! Makes me think of that movie. Indian Summer. Seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I was a Wintaka Camper in the summer of 1968. Like you, I only went one summer, but I have many memories! Our group also made many weekend ventures to the camp. I especially remember the lodge and how part of the walls came off during the summme so it would stay cool. Do you remember Pixie Dust and Bug Juice? What songs are on the CD that is posted on your page? Also, is it available for purchase? I would love to attend the reunion. Do you have any details for the date, time, etc? Thanks!! Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie (Glazier) LumleyDecember 26, 2007 at 10:33 PM

    I think I am in your Wintaka picture. I was thinking about camp last night and was looking for pictures on the web this morning.I remember counselors named Buttons & a CIT named Brandy most of all. I went 5 or 6 years, I think this is the last year... I was sooo home sick. Where are you in the photo? Send me an e-mail please.Thanks, made my day! Steph - stephaniel@fireking.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle (tut) Tuttle - WhitneyOctober 15, 2008 at 11:20 AM

    I have been on your chasing bluebirds for about 3 hours now looking for the quote you have on the yahoo search... I have enjoyed every minute of it and the Camp Fire part of it.. I was in Camp Fire until I graduated and got WoHeLO Medallion. Where you live looks like where I lived in California and all the pictures of camp, Loved them... and Stephanie I also remember Brandy and Buttons.. I got on this page from trying to find out about the reunion, I wasnt aware of it or I might have really tried to make it... I live in Louisiana now and have 7 of my own kids... I just couldnt get away from the pack of kids... if anyone wants to e-mail me that would be fun. USMCFire7@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone remember Cinder - I was a camper in the 60's and was a CIT and counselor early 70's -Sorry, I missed the reunion - the 2 girls by the Wintaka sign are Flea "Ann", and Hickory,"Kathy"
    Karen Carter Dennis -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I went to Camp Yallani around 1972, and I remember having the time of my life. I remember everything about that week, especially the main lodge where we ate. What an experience. bestrada1965@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the last year that I went, I was probably 9 years ol so that would be 1974, and right before we got onto the bus to go to Camp Yallani, one of the girls got a spider bite right on her eye, weird how I remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a Blue Bird, Camp Fire, Horizon Club Girl during the 60's.
    Living in Compton and part of the Long Beach Council, my Mom Inez Wauls was the leader. I have fond memories of Camp Wintaka. The first year I attended I was the only Black girl. My third and last year I brought my neighbor.
    I remember the girls curious about my hair but always felt like part of the group.
    The Johnny Appleby song we sung before meals will forever remain in my head. Oh the Lord is good to me and so I thank the Lord. For giving me the things i need the sun, the rain and the apple seed...
    Anyone attend an August camp session in 1965. I remember the month and year as when I arrived home the Watts Riot was in full force and I could see the smoke from my home in Compton.
    Rita Wauls-Collier
    678 520-6684

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh - First couselor's name was Mitch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for your comments rita, camp wintaka is such a special place! my daughters head up next week, my oldest will have gone 5 years, youngest is going for her second year!
    wohelo!!

    ReplyDelete