Sunday, March 1, 2009

slam book 101

Slambookcover

since facebook started consuming all my time (not really, but sorta) while looking for old photos,i found boxes and boxes of cool things i had been saving (forever). i had no interest in sifting through this stuff until now, so much of it was a surprise. i was one of those kids who always saved things for "future kids" in a strange sort of way. not sure why i thought the history of me would be so fascinating, but i collected and stashed boxes and boxes of schoolwork, letters and knick knacks. something i stumbled on that i had literally never given a single thought to since junior high school was this slam book. the word slam means something a drawer does to me on a regular basis (or slam dancing, how awesome THAT was, ouch!) anyways, so what the hell is a slam book? lets take a look!

so first you sign in
Sm1




then keeping on the same line (keeping the same number) you answer each question on the following pages (its best to have a crazy colored pen to keep yourself unique)
Sm2
Sm3
Sm4

oh and of course you have to have a couple bogus "friends" in there... see if you can pick them out
Sm5
now this is real peer pressure at work because i didnt even LIKE the rolling stones in junior high!
Sm7
you HAVE to have a free page, thats a must. you might get some interesting tidbit of gossip when a person is free to write whatever they want!
Sm8
i am thinking this must have been written in nov/december?

Sm9
yeah december for sure

Sm10
ok, here is the real dirt. the ONLY reason a slam book is written is for this page: (cleverly stuck somewhere in the middle) hee hee
Sm12

this easy breezy question comes next
Sm13

Sm14
everyone loved p.e. (except me! hated it!)... and you need a "final last words page" in case you dont get anything scandalous up to this point... tricky tricky!
Sm15


and you sign out
Sm16



straight from hill junior high, 1982... now you are up to date. heres to you making a slam book of your own! lazy j ranch photos coming soon.




10 comments:

  1. now this is really starting to get weird...was Wilson your maiden name? Mine was Willson!!! Any chance your middle name is Ann?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is too fun--Barry Gibb! Kool & the Gang! Disco Forever! I didn't exactly have one of these, but something close--I used to love this kind of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of a slam book but I love your description of the entire process. I bet everybody really had fun writing in it. BTW, you must have kept your word to work harder in Spanish because your Spanish is outta this world::)) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hoot! These are treasures to keep! I never heard of a Slam Book, but your songs, answers, handwriting and color pens sure take me back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahaha wow..... this was so funny to read its funny my friend emailed me this so i just ahd to comment ps: i love the beatles too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this, I just pinned it to
    Pinterest for my Oldies file.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very happy to run across your slam book. I was trying to think of questions to put in my 3rd grade daughter's book and you gave me a lot of ideas. It's way cool to see the actual pages. I gotta wonder now if I should be opening those boxes I was too tired to look through before moving... Here's where I was soliciting help from folks on my website, and used your stuff as an example. http://www.mysaline.com/profiles/blogs/help-me-make-a-slam-book

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad so many people have enjoyed my slam book post! it was fun to write about and i have had my camp fire kids make them with camp fire questions. continues to be inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I DEFINITELY have heard of and have had a SLAM book...Oh, the memories...not sure if I kept one or not. Wish I had.

    ReplyDelete