Wednesday, November 5, 2008

camp fire sewing

we made bags to hold plastic bags... cloth bags to hold paper bags... you know, the tube with elastic on either end and you hook it up and pull the plastic bag out of the bottome? yeah that.
IMG_1698


IMG_1689

IMG_1692
IMG_1691

the girls got a little lecture about using the sewing machine as we sewed up the sides, they worked the pedal and asked questions about the parts. we will continue to do sewing at our meetings, i plan on having them make stuffed animals this year and work more on the machine. they will be able to design the animal, make a pattern, cut it out and piece it, then sew it and stuff it! whew, that will be a long meeting, but oh so fun!

i took a recent trip to a waldorf school, wish we had one closer to our house. lets just say, i felt very at home there. my parents raised me in the late sixties and seventies and did their own version of waldorf at our house (my mom freaked when i told her about the store, she said, "thats right up my alley!") so you will see some waldorf influence coming soon. a friend asked me to describe the waldorf style (and forgive me, this is not an "educated" answer) i said its like communal hardcore peace/love hippy meets little house on the prairie... (remembering there is an amazing theory on education mixed in too)... more on that later.




1 comment:

  1. that is a fantastic explanation. I love the ideas of waldorf, what i know of it. it is beautiful and natural. I love the sewing projects your girls did.

    ReplyDelete