Friday, September 12, 2008

westminster abbey (and a little drama)

well its been quite a day, hustle bustle to bermondsey which was a big fat fiasco
IMG_0304



we took two flippen buses to get there, happy to see 1/3 of the booths up (we were worried it would not even be running, times are hard) so here i am, sauntering around, looking at all the neat english antiques and what nots. most of the sellers were quiet and serious, but a few were chatty. it was fun, i was ENJOYING myself. it took very little time to get around and my mom introduced me to some guy she knew, all normal friendly chit chat. i had spotted a really cool box of pendants that i asked my mom to come check out. this was the kind of thing you splurge on, something you could actually wear. we went over and i saw the seller get up and leave as i approached, then i remembered he had done the same thing the first time i had come around. we stood there and stood there, looking at things, it was such a long time my mom found a ring she liked and we both just stood there and stood there as the seller ignored us (there was no one really around, he wasnt helping anyone this whole time). finally i waved at him and he sighed grumpily and said loudly something about how he doubts i could afford anything in the box and that everything in there was at least 30 pounds or more and very old and very expensive and if i thought i could get something for a pound i might as well go look somewhere else, blah blah blah and sigh sigh sigh... he was obnoxious! his little speech was so long, other people stopped to listen and several people looked shocked along with me. some lady yelled out at him, how rude! i was so floored, i just stood there because there is just no way for me to explain how mean this was. one of the sellers from the booth across from him jumped in and said, dont listen to him, dont take it personally, he is just angry... or something like that. all i could do was snap back at him something stupid like, you dont even know me! i could have 2000 pounds in my pocket for all you know, forget it! and of course i started CRYING!! can you believe it? crying? my mom was just standing there bug eyed at me and then spoke to the little crowd that had gathered in the commotion while i high tailed it out of there to get myself together. what a baby! after yesterdays super snuff at liberty and today though, i am wondering why people trying to sell stuff would act like this? maybe they hate all americans? (wouldnt really blame them) but my parents go to this market every year and actually know people there, it was such a bummer.

needless to say, i didnt buy (or need) a 30 pound pendant, geez!!! with my attire i am saving money everywhere i go! so we moved on to westminster abbey which was a smashing success!
IMG_0325

they have a free audio tour that guides you around, it was so gorgeous and old and lovely... so glad i finally got to see it (you cant take photos inside, so you must come see for yourself!)
IMG_0318
our lovely war in iraq, always some kind of protest going on. speaking of politics, my mom and i are starved for info about our current presidential race, maybe thats a good thing since we were both getting pretty freaked out about it. all i can say is i am looking for a nice country cottage if obama doesnt win, i am moving here!
IMG_0337

a horsie for emily (through the bus window, ick!) notice how the people are following the rules posted.
IMG_0346


shopping for my loves
IMG_0344
i just had to squeeze in one more, look how sweet these italian girls are! oh and the shops at carnaby street took my money no problem.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I am sorry to hear he was a grump. Every time I have been to England the people have been really lovely to me, American or not. (And they get very upset if I cry! LOL) He must have just been having a crappy day, don't take it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. standing in the rain all day selling old s%#t. i'd be a grouch too. how come this crap never happens when i'm around?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'd give him 30 pounds at least.
    wish i was there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness, how awful that must have been. If it is any consolation i would have cried too. People can be so rude

    ReplyDelete