Tuesday, July 22, 2008

busting out tomatoes

IMG_8093

actually, i am still pleased as pudding with my garden and the over abundance of tomatoes. i have had a standing bowl of salsa for weeks now and eating pasta with tomato/garlic/onion sauce nightly is nothing to complain about  (i even throw in zucchini). all i ever wanted was tomatoes on top of tomatoes and then even more tomatoes... we will see in a month from now but i think i will still be over the moon with these red babies.


IMG_8103



in case you are wondering, my favorite by far is the "juliet" with tomatoes a little larger than a grape but a tad smaller than a roma. they are coming in groups of six or more, super firm and red... sweet and amazing. my early girl is running out of gas, the beefstake had to be pulled (i got about 20 from it before it got too buggy and yellow). the orange tomato had to go today, i got maybe 5 from it before it got sick. the cherry is going strong, the brandywine is putting out these huge pink tomatoes (in the picture its at the top left), the italian roma is in full swing and something i cant remember is busting at the seams with medium round tomatoes (i think it is surplice or something like that). i planted a late tomato bush that is just starting to flower, hoping to keep the season as long as possible.
IMG_8087

i have never had sunflowers before and can i just say, i am in love!!! having to seed and re-seed over and over gave me quite the variety!
IMG_8095

IMG_8098

IMG_8097



2 comments:

  1. When we meet up for dinner soon, save some of those tomatoes for me! My plants are super s---l-- o---w this summer...! Yours look so yummy! Are u an eggs person? I love my eggs with little tomato halves cooked in! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,
    I'm not sure if this will get to you - if it does, great, if not, oh well! This comes from your cousin, Judy - now going by Wilson after several incarnations. I got your wonderful note today and am amazed that Dava is 70. How can that be??? That makes me 62! Of course I will send you a note for the scrap book. Also, Mom and I will be in Cal during the last week of April for a visit with Jeff and his brood - perhaps we can all connect during that time - I'd love to get to know you and your family and re-connect with Dave et.al. It's wonderful to know that there is family in other parts of the world that sound as cool as we all think we are here in ORegon.
    Love for now - more later.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete