Thursday, September 13, 2007

Surprise, surprise!

Well my folks are in England, their once a year tour and so i am left to watch over my 98 year old grandfather. truth be told, my younger brother lives next door to him and is a nurse, so he does a lot of the "checking in" on gramps. but shortly my brother will be joining my parents in england and then head off to france... so it will be up to me to be the only person nearby (other than his close friends) to watch over him.



i promised my parents over and over that i could handle it, that i would phone him and visit if not daily, than every other day (did i mention he lives alone????) ok, so we are a week into my parents trip, i have made my daily phone calls and grandpa seems fine (on the phone at least)... my brother leaves in a couple days so i have been gearing up for the week of daily visits.



of course, today my brother calls and said, "have you seen the paper?" and i say, "no" because i dont get the paper and he says, "well grandpa is on the front page!!!" i can honestly say, i thought something bad must have happened! like grandpa had burned down a whole row of houses or ran out into the streets in the middle of the night in his pjs or called in a bomb threat, who knows!!! i was freaking out a bit. no, my brother tells me, he was honored at some event at our local city college, he was evidently one of the first graduating class (i by the way graduated there too!!! along with my dad) but no one told us he would be attending (the event was yesterday) and he never mentioned it. his good buddy just picked him up and off they went! very cool, but i would have LOVED to attend and see him there! i guess i missed the boat on that, but like i said, my grandpa never said a thing. makes me wonder if he is really "just doing great!" when i call him, i think a home visit is in order, and quick!



congrats to grandpa wilson!



Grandpa



here is the whole story.



3 comments:

  1. Oh, the daily grandparent care job. I hope your grandpa is a little more cooperative than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally saw that in the paper! I would have never guessed that it was your Grandpa! I love that he is doing good and living on his own!!! I know a 94 year old lady living on her own...maybe we can set them up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leslie,
    It has been a while since I logged on. So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I hope he is doing fine, now at home and resting. Pat

    ReplyDelete