Sunday, July 22, 2007

Camp Wintaka 50 year reunion, WOW!!!

Flicker the light of the campfire, wind in the pines

Stars in the heavens, a moon that shines

A place where people gather, make friends of all kinds

A place where all men's troubles are always left behind



So give me the light of the campfire, warm and bright

and give me some friends to sing with, I'll be there all night

For love is for those who find it, I've found mine right here

Just you and me and the campfire and the songs we love to hear

da da, da da, da da, da da



So green are the valleys, sweet as the clover

gone are the cold winds, forever more

The roses now are blooming, the oceans so blue

The sun above is setting, upon our love so new



For love is like a warm fire, soft and low

And when you know your true love,

your heart will really know



For as the leaves are falling,

and friends begin to part,

These memories of the summer

will stay, in every heart

da da, da da, da da, da da



so give me the light of the campfire

warm and bright

and give me some friends to sing with

I'll be there all night

For love is for those who find it

I've found mine right here.

Just you and me and the campfire

and the songs, we love to hear

da da, da da, da da, da da





Img_6911

Img_6881



Img_6970

Img_6902

Img_6895

Img_6921

I stayed in these tents, kaloli.... i spent many hours looking off these stairs at the gorgeous view across the valley below



Img_6923



Img_6929

I went to Camp Wintaka in 1976, 77, 78... age 9, 10, 11... i was in kaloli, notch and sanyoda... three wonderful summers spent making lanyards and macaroni necklaces... canoeing in the lake, horse back riding and making friends to last a lifetime. I looked up to my C.I.T.'s (counselors in training) and my counselors as heroes... wanted so desperately to be like them. It is something i will never forget and spending time up at Camp Wintaka for the 50 year reunion was more amazing than i could have imagined. My last counselor "Figgy" was there as well as several other counselors I truly loved (Stormy for one).



Img_7000

My favorite little "event" of the weekend was finding the chapel still intact: here is my 1978 version, almost 30 years ago...





Chap201

and today



Img_6978

and i am not even sure how to describe this, i feel so inept (if thats the right word) but Ruth aka "rascal" whom i had never met... who was my good buddy Pat's partner... was the most amazing revelation of the weekend. she was the superstar counselor whom everyone knew, someone who truly captured the essence of camp wintaka during that most extraordinary era( the camp ran all summer in the sixties and seventies with supersonic energy). she is lovely and genuine, youthful and sincere... someone i would have truly looked up to as a camper and who i found myself mesmerized by this weekend. i am so thankful to have taken the chance on that vascular account long ago in which i became better acquainted with pat and through her found ruth. you never know what you might stumble on in this roller coaster called life... but i truly found in ruth the magic i remember as a camper up at camp wintaka and i think she felt it too. thank you sooo much for coming ruth!



Img_6984

here is ruth in her camp shirt from the seventies



Img_6989

that's a big tree!



Img_6971

rascal with her buddies



Campwin01

the lake in the seventies



Img_6966

the lake is now a meadow... and no more



Campwin

horses!!!





for ruth:



Who can sail where there is no wind

without oars to be rowing

who can sail far away from friends

without tears a flowin'



I can sail where there is no wind

without oars I'll be rowing

but i can't sail far away from friends

without tears a flowin'



Stay tuned for more about Camp Wintaka!



3 comments:

  1. Leslie,
    What a terrific weekend it was!!! I felt so embraced by all of the members and really laughed a lot!! Thank you so much for mentioning it to me so many months ago.....what a gift.
    WoHeLo....Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie!
    I'm so bummed I couldn't make it. It sounds like you had a blast! I had a family issue come up at the last minute. Hopefully the reunion may become an annual event!
    Take care!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy Campbell MichaelsonAugust 5, 2007 at 11:15 AM

    Hi Leslie!
    I am soooo very happy to find your blog...something I've long meant to do myself. I was also at the reunion and found meeting up with Ruth again and meeting Pat to be one of the most special times. But ah, to see Kaloli, Notch-ee-ninga and Sanyoda again...that was magic. I was a camper in 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, CIT in 69 and 70, and a Notch counselor in 71. Perhaps you met me or saw me; I left some string games with everyone.
    Thank you for your lovely blog and wonderful photos. Wintaka and its memories take up a huge part of my heart.
    Each campfire lights anew
    The flame of friendship true.
    The joy we've had in knowing you
    Will last our whole lives through.
    And as the embers die away
    We wish that we might ever stay
    But since we cannot have our way
    We'll come again some other day.
    I now live in Alaska, but if I even hear a whisper about the next Wintaka reunion, I will see you there. Peace,
    Nancy Soupy

    ReplyDelete