Tuesday, February 22, 2011

garden prep

i have really let my garden plot go this winter, with my new job and more gym time on the schedule, it's been hard to get over there. i have even thought about letting it go...once again....but just like last year i am hanging on to it for another year. i realized i could get my camp fire kids to help, which was the reason i took the plot in the first place. how had i forgotten my original plan, to teach the kids and get them some hands on experience growing vegetables? so last monday, i invited my older group and a few other camp fire kids to help me get ready for spring planting. i am always looking for new ways to earn beads and looking through my vintage camp fire book, i found 8 beads we could earn together. 


Photo-72


we started out with a ton of weeds and harvested beets and fennel...

Photo-69

carrots found mixed in with weeds, kids LOVE to find them (note to self: throw carrot seeds randomly throughout the year to keep kids excited at weeding)

Photo-65

prepping the beds with manure

Photo-66

more weeding (there was a black widow spider in that shed back there, had to act calm and cool when i was really thinking, holy crap!!)

Photo-74

my beets had really gone to town over the winter and most were too gigantic to eat. we sent the good ones to the food bank

Photo-64

the crew at the end of the morning, lots of smiles and excitement for next months tomato planting... can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment