Wednesday, October 22, 2008

camp fire mask, garden update (it's fall?)

our mask project is underway, i am tackling a bigger craft than usual, hoping it works out (fingers crossed) i found the idea in a thrift shop craft book, my favorite kind of resource.
IMG_1401


IMG_1403

IMG_1411

at least i READ the directions before starting the craft with the kids and realized it takes days and days to dry... we will bring it back next week to finish. stay tuned... speaking of "drying" it is hot and dry here, not feeling much like fall or winter. but its time to plant the winter crop:
IMG_1414

since i am making a green smoothie every single day (yesterday i had two!) i am in need of lots of greens. i planted several types of lettuce, mustard greens, collards and cabbage
IMG_1421

lots of onions, i am still eating the onions i planted in the summer and they are keeping well in the garage. i planted about 4 different kinds and six of each, hoping for a never ending supply of onions
IMG_1427

and last, sugar snap peas, about a dozen!! as usual i plant too much!
IMG_1428

i have six tiny ailing cauliflowers planted and i spent the morning babying them, all i want is cauliflower and broccoli!!! the broccoli isnt at the garden center yet, i planted a row of seeds but seeds are hit or miss. i will check back soon for the broccoli and hoping the cauliflowers make it.




5 comments:

  1. oh my i can't wait to see the mask! what book is it from? looks fantastic! and your garden too. alas - our chickens have polished off the last or our lettuce seedlings! (still have the artichoke though...!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your garden sounds fantastic. Green smoothies twice a day...you are my hero. We have them once in awhile at most. I wish we had them more, but good garden season is almost up here. I can not imagine still being able to be planting. I guess being where you are has its perks for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leslie! I just got a flat of broccoli at my favorite grower...speaking of planting too much! Let me know how much you want and I'll get it for you. Also, picked up two flats of sequoias. I figure we'll eat up one at the garden...I am on my neighbor's strawberry plan and made mounds covered with burlap...will post pix in a bit...but of course you can just walk by...see you in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat Powers & Ruth RawlingsOctober 29, 2008 at 6:31 AM

    I had no idea you were so crazy about onions!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, doing the smoothies! I really need to get into a routine with that myself. We're growing a fair amount of greens, so I need to start using some of them this way!

    ReplyDelete